Promote international educational exchange and promote friendship between countries by providing foreign students with the opportunity to study at Korean higher education institutions.
- Bachelor's and associate's degree programs offered at domestic universities
※ Departments (medicine, architecture, etc.) where the bachelor's course duration exceeds 4 years are not permitted.
※ Departments where the duration of study for an associate's degree program exceeds 3 years are not accepted.
- Master's and doctoral programs offered at domestic graduate schools
※ However, admission to professional graduate school is permitted only if the university provides a scholarship for the amount exceeding 10 million won in annual tuition.
- Research conducted through exchange professorships and post-doctoral programs at domestic research institutes (including universities)
- 220 undergraduate students, 1,080 graduate students (varies depending on budget)
|Recruitment notice and application submission||September of the previous year every year||February every year|
|1st round of selection (overseas embassies, universities)||Every year from October to November of the previous year||every March|
|Second selection (NIIED)||Every November of the previous year||every April|
|3rd round of selection (university)
※ Applicable only to embassy selection applicants
|December of the previous year every year||Every May|
|Announcement of final successful applicants (NIIED)||every January||Every June|
|Scholarship student entry||February every year||Every year at the end of August|
|Settlement support fund||200,000 won (1 time)|
|living expenses||month900,000 ~ 1,000,000|
|medical insurance premium||Own standard amount|
|language course||1 million won (quarter)|
|School expenses||Support up to 5 million won per semester|
|Excellent in Korean||100,000 won (monthly)|
|research funds||per semester210,000 ~ 240,000|
|Paper printing fee||500,000 ~ 800,000|
|Return reserve fund||100,000 won (1 time)|
- Those who are under 25 years of age as of March 1st of the selection year
- Those who have (expected to) complete all elementary, middle, and high school curriculum as of March 1st of the selection year
- Those who are under 40 years of age as of September 1st of the selection year
- Those who have earned a bachelor's degree or master's degree as of February 28th of the selection year
- Those who are current professors from ODA recipient countries among the invited countries and are under 45 years of age as of September 1st of the selection year
- Applicants and both parents are foreigners
※ Dual Korean nationality is not recognized as an alien.
- Those who are healthy both mentally and physically to be able to study abroad in Korea for a long period of time
- Those who have a grade point average (GPA) of 80% or higher for all grades in the last school attended
- Those who are currently enrolled in or have graduated from a university or graduate school in Korea are not eligible to apply.
※ However, existing government-invited scholarship recipients with a grade point average (GPA) of 90% or higher in all grades of the last school and a TOPIK level 5 or higher can reapply through embassy or university screening (limited to one time)
Undergraduate and graduate school: Submit application to the Korean embassy in the relevant country or to one of the mathematics universities in Korea.
Research: Submit application to one of the mathematics universities in Korea
※ For more information, please check the recruitment guidelines and postings posted in the GKS notice.